Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day Five - June 25th 2010

I don’t really remember what happened in the morning… nothing too exciting. I went to lab and worked. O but I did see our guide from when we were here the first time. That was cool. Other than that… I counted my brine shrimp.
Around lunch time I waited for the “y” girls to finish with their leaves and we all went to lunch. It was just the three of us at a table as the other Colgate table was all full. Oh my did we have fun. It started about as a calm discussion about how extraordinarily good the pineapple was, and then morphed into a complete giggle fit over everything that went awry. Where to start. Well, first the sugar wouldn’t come out of the container. The juice here has no sugar at all, and so one must add one’s own. I had just poured myself a glass of beautiful pink stuff over ice cubes, and it was just sitting there, waiting for me, and the sugar wouldn’t come out! It shock and I jiggled and I taped and banged and I tried and tried to get it to come out. (I later realized that it is so humid here that the sugar sticks together) Finally I got really angry and shook really hard and it went EVERYWHERE. There was sugar all over the table, all over my tray, everywhere. There was a couple sitting at the table behind us, and they just thought it was the funniest thing in the world. They pointed and laughed and oh my. It was so bad. There were other incidents involving plates and meat and pineapple, but I won’t bore you with the details. But, I had fun to say the least.
After lunch, I decided that, as I didn’t have anything to do in the lab, I would watch the world cup game for a little while. I ended up watching the whole thing with a bunch of the guys that work here. It was very nice. In the middle of the game, one of the people from the front desk came up to me and told me that there was space in one of the cabins! This is very exciting news. Before I was staying in the “estacion del rio” aka the river station. The river station was fine, quite nice, with a lovely view of the river, but it was a good 5 minute walk in the jungle. Now, I’ve videoed the walk, and maybe I’ll be able to post it, but let me try to explain the sheer terror that overcame me when I had to take the walk in the dark alone. I know I’ve talked about this earlier, but I just want to reiterate it. I only had to walk in the dark by myself three or four times, but it was not pleasant. Imagine me with a flashlight that just barely illuminates the next three feet, trying to look above me (as I have been warned of spiders that descend from the leaves overhead), below my feet as to not step on another frog (they hide under leaves and then jump out at the most inconvenient times), and to both sides (to scan for venomous snakes that like to hide at the entrance to the bridges). So getting a cabin is very, very, exciting news. The director of the station also invited me to coffee with the
It was also perfect timing because I didn’t have any work I could do in the lab. So I thought, I’ll stop by the lab, grab my keys and go change cabins. Of course, when I got back to the lab I had an email from my mentor giving me a bazillion tasks to do. So now, I was FLOODED with work. I had lab stuff to do, and I had to shower, and change cabins, and go have coffee and three. There was just lots of stuff.
But I made it work and all was well. The coffee by the way, was delicious. It was strong, but not bitter, and warm but not hot yum yum yum it was delicious. Plus it gave me the extra boost I would need that nigh to stay in the lab until 12…
Anyway after finishing coffee I changed cabins, showered and went to dinner. After dinner I went to the lab, where I stayed until 12. But, I got all of the plants into solution thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment