Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day Two –June 22nd 2010 (Part A – The Evacuation)

Utterly exhausted after being awake and traveling for 20 hours, I fell asleep at about 10:00. My roommate was still not back, but I figured that she would come in eventually.
Then, at 12:30, I heard pounding at the door and a bunch of commotion outside. My roommate (who had returned to the room and was sleeping) got up and answered the door.
An old man who apparently knew her said, “Ok this is it. You know what’s happening. Get your stuff. You have 3 minutes.”
When she closed the door I asked, “umm… hold on. I don’t know what is happening. What is going on?”
She replied that the water was only about a meter below the bridge and they didn’t want us to get stuck. So we had to move out. She said that as I hadn’t really upacked, I could just take my suitcase and all of my valuables. As we waited outside our room for more directions, I heard someone say that we would be sleeping in the cafeteria. Well, I thought, at least we’ll be indoors. Thankfully though, when we got to the cafeteria, someone directed us to some empty cabins. There, a man with a walkie-talkie was putting people into rooms. He put me in a room with one young guy and one really old guy. O well, I said… I guess they aren’t separating by gender. But, it wasn’t really that awkward, as no one knew what was going on, and by this time it was 1am and we were all exhausted.
I collapsed on a bed and fell into a fitful sleep.

2 comments:

  1. thats weird!!
    o by the way its claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy,this is a terrific blog, I can't wait for the next installment in your adventure!

    ReplyDelete