Thursday, June 24, 2010

Science Update

So I’ve had a request for more science stuff. So here’s an update.
Yesterday I started a control experiment that subjected the shrimp to different mixtures of ethanol and h20. The ethanol and the water were meant to simulate the solution that I will soak the plants in, to make sure that the solution wasn’t killing them. So I put the shrimp in the wells at about 11:30. Then I came back after lunch and they were all dead. It was a very large problem. There were also many dead at the bottom of the hatchery. Maybe they just didn’t have enough salt. So I dumped out the hatchery and started again, this time with a 25000 ppm solution instead of 10000ppm. I also thought maybe the ethanol was killing them. So, before I dumped out the old solution I put some brine shrimp into two culture holes to see if they died in the 10000 ppm ASW (ASW = artificial salt water).
Today I got in the lab and counted the dead in the two ASW-only wells. 32 in one and 18 in the other. That is bad. That means that it wasn’t just the ethanol killing them, but something about the ASW. I hope to run two more experiments today as well as start collecting my actual plant samples. First I will test with new shrimp three different concentration of ethanol as well as three different concentrations of methanol. I will also test my positive control substance (postassium dichromate k2cr2o7) to see what concentration of that I will need.

No comments:

Post a Comment