Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day Three – June 23, 2010 (Part A)

This morning, I woke up relatively rested, got ready and went down to breakfast. They had beans and rice, again. Good thing I don’t mind having the same thing every day! On the way to the lab I found a tiny little poison dart frog in the woods. It was so cute!
Then I met with a professor who is here with a bunch of other students from Colgate University. He has lived here for about 5 years and knows a bunch about medicinal plants and just this place in general. He gave me the names of a bunch of people who I can talk to, and advice on how to collect the plants. It was wonderful.
Then I got to the lab and my brine shrimp had hatched! This is very exciting news because I can now start some experiments. I really couldn’t do anything until they had hatched and I didn’t think that they would be ready until about 1:30 today.
At about 10:00 I was bent over my lab counting brine shrimp when the aforementioned professor came over to my bench and asked if I wanted to see some howler monkeys “up close and personal”. I said sure and went outside. There was a troop of them right outside the lab! One of them had a baby; it was SO cute. I took some pictures and I’ll try to upload then if I can figure out how.
There has also been an infestation of little ants. They are crawling all over my lab bench and are quite annoying. It’s not so much that they are harmful, just that they are a constant distraction.
I also finally got my computer fixed! Now I can use my wifi instead of being confined to the room with all of the scales…
When I got back from lunch I checked on my brine shrimp, who I had put in about an two hours before, and THEY WERE ALL DEAD. They weren’t supposed to be dead… it is a quite a problem. So I’ve started a new batch and we’ll see how they do.
Then I was sitting at my computer looking up plants, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a bullet ant coming towards me. Now, normal ants I am fine with. But the pain people experience when they are bitten by one of these guys has been compared with child birth. So I jumped out of my chair, grabbed my shoe and smacked it repeatedly. It was pretty satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment