I am telling you my life revolves around unknowing uncaring unfeeling shrimp.
This is ridiculousness. Let me just share my sleep schedule from the last couple of days. On the 18th I woke up at about 11:00am and waited around all day for my shrimp to be done. They finished at 11:00pm. I was in the lab until 3:30. Then I took a shower. By that time it was 4:15 in the morning. Since breakfast was at 6:00 and I didn’t want to go to bed for two hours I decided I would just stay up. On eof the benefits of pulling and all-nighter was getting to see the sun rise. It was absolutely gorgeous. As I walked to breakfast, I stopped along the big suspension bridge that crosses the river. The fog handing over the river and enveloping the trees was breathtaking. Ok. I know that sounds like a line out of a tourist book, but it really was incredible. As I was standing there, I saw some movement in a nearby tree. It was a group of Toucans stopping to rest. I could see them pretty well from where I was one the bridge. I would have liked to have had binoculars, but it was impressive nonetheless. There must have been about 4 or 5 of them just sitting there. The whole scene was pretty moving.
Anywho, after that I headed off to breakfast until 6:30 when I returned to the cabin and slept until 12:30. I got up for lunch and was up until about 11:00 pm. I then decided to get some shut eye before I had to go check my shrimp at 3:00am. Easier said than done. I just couldn’t seem to fall asleep. Then once I did, I only stayed asleep for about an hour before waking up with a terrible throat ache. Luckily I had some fanta by my bed. After drinking about ½ the bottle I was ready to go back to bed until 2am when my alarm woke me up. Now, the alarm was supposed to be set for a little before 3:00 but it was set for a little before 2. I have no idea how that happened. My iPod (aka my alarm clock) was still set for Cleveland time, so it is two hours ahead. I can usually handle the subtraction, but I guess I wasn’t “firing on all cylinders” when I set it at 11. Anyway, it was only after I had walked through the jungle that I realized that it was 2am and I still had an hour left before my shrimp were ready. I decided to get some more shut-eye, so I curled up on two roll-ey chairs and tried to go to sleep. Funny side story, on the way there, I scared something in the woods next to the path. When it scurried away I was so frightened by the noise I started sprinting to the building. The noise was too loud to be a snake, too fast to be a peckerie (the disgusting smelly pig-like creatures that wander everywhere here), too big to be an iguana. Whatever it was though, I was quite rattled up, which made falling back asleep much more difficult.
When I woke up at 3 I counted shrimp until about 4:30 when I put the new batch of extracts into the dryer. Because I had the hotplate, I thought that it should only take about an hour for the samples to dry. So I went back to sleep on the chairs until 5:30. Then when I got up to check on the samples they still weren’t completely dry. I went back to sleep for 20 minutes and when I woke up they were ready. I put the shrimp in the wells and went off to breakfast at about 6:30. Then I came back to the room and simply haven’t been able to fall asleep. Strange, to say the least. Hopefully I’ll be able to go to bed at a descent hour tonight so that I can wake up bright and early at 6:00 tomorrow and catch come breakfast before counting the shrimp.
No comments:
Post a Comment