Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day Twenty Three - June 13th 2010

So last night someone stole my hotplate! It was QUITE frustrating. So my samples were taking forever to dry. I thought they should evaporate in 5 hours right? so I left the lab at 1am and came back at 6 to check up on them. They were only like ½ way dry. I was pissed. So, then I ate breakfast and went back to bed. I returned at about 11. (I was thinking that I slept for waaay too long and that my samples were for sure dry and I was wasting time and I was off schedule by like 5 hours (they were supposed to start at 6am). So I get to the lab and some @*$%&#@$*(%*$& had opened up the hood. What I had been doing to create a fan was to put the lid like 7/8th of the way down and so because the hood sucks up air there was this 5 inch wind tunnel where I would put my samples. But when those inconsiderate unknowing jerks opened up the hood there was no wind tunnel and hence not much evaporation going on. So I’d lost another 5 hours. I put the hood back down and found the hotplate (it now has a nasty little note threatening anyone who moves it with a painful death – ok no not really. The note just says that the hotplate is “crucial” to my experiment and to leave a note if you borrow it, but still). It’s 1:15 here and the freaking plates are STILL not dry. So I’ve lost about 7 hours so far from my original schedule. Grrrr….
So after I did that I went to lunch and had a lovely conversation with some people about diving and cliff jumping. Then I was talking to a girl about her experiment. She’s working with these flowers that give off heat to attract beetles. Its pretty cool. Then, right as we were about to leave it started raining. Like really really hard. It was pretty much the epitome of a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR. This is why its called the rainforest.... I was completely soaked. luckily I was doing laundry so I snagged some almost dry clothes from the dryer. Now instead of being dripping wet (literally), I'm just slightly damp. Win.


No comments:

Post a Comment