Full sentences aren’t going to happen. Sorry. It’s one in the morning and I'm waaay too tired. So here are some notes about the past couple of days.
Day 19
Yeah... I have NO idea what happened on this day.
O, right. soccer. a bunch of people from la selva, mostly ticos (ticos = costa ricans) went and rented out the turf field in town. Ok so when they said turf field i was like what? those are crazy expensive! how does a little town like puerto viejo had the money for a turf field? well its like a bowling alley or batting cage. The company puts int he money upfront for a small (when i say small i mean very small like 25 yards by 10 yards) turf field and then groups get together and rent it out. Like bowling alleys there are teams of middle aged men who are looking for a way to bond with coworkers (la selva has their own team AND their own jerseys). anyway because there were so many researchers that came along we just split into two teams and played each other. it was quite chill and you could just jump in and sub for anybody when you wanted to. towards the end it got a little more serious when some of the really good people showed up, but still, everything operates under a very different feel here. Everything is all good with no worries. its very nice.
Day 20
Got up 6 hours late. No big deal.
I was going to start my experiments early in the morning, but the volume on my iPod was turned all the way down so I wouldn’t wake up my roommates when I set the alarm. Unfortunately it also failed to wake me up. Oh well. Nothing died, I just lost 6 hours. What are you going to do?
During lunch there was the game between germany and Uruguay. I left halfway through because I knew germany would win. Uruguay put up a good fight though. I hate the germans.
Then on the way to dinner we saw a bunch of people all huddled around a tree looking at something. We figured we’d be interested in whatever they were interested in and so we wandered over to take a look. There was a huge snake in the tree! It was a bird-eating snake apparently. It had a yellow belly and a grey back and was quite cool.
Dinner was terrible. Well, that isn’t fair to say. It wasn’t any different from any other day, but that made it awful. Every day rice and beans and more rice and more beans and then some rice and maybe some starch of some other kind (potatoes or bread) with beans and then some more rice. ARG! I was so sick ok
So I realized that I really haven’t talked much about the pigs. They are everywhere! Its ridiculous. There are at least 30 of them that just roam around eating everything. They are disgusting. I don’t like them. Sometimes when its dark, they wander across the path and you almost trip over them. Not good
Day 21
Realized I got bitten a ridiculous amount yesterday while looking at the snake.
About 20 bites on one leg
Not as bad as the girl w/ 60 on one forearm. She climbs trees.
World cup!!!! SPAIN WON!!!!!! That was good. Although overtime pissed me off because I needed to get back to the lab, and I had to wait and watch the game for another 30 min. ok I didn’t have to but I wanted to.
Then it was raining. A lot. Really hard. Like a lot a lot. Like torrential downpour just got redefined.
Girl w/ ipod got stuck in storm and so as she ran she took off her shirt and wrapped the iPod in that. Then she picked up some banana leaves and wrapped it in those too. She was able to save it. But a guy w/ science equipment wasn’t as lucky. (well he wasn’t as resourceful either). His mp3 player got soaked.
Walked to dinner with a botanist who lives below me. We had a really interested discussion about the merit of ethnobotanical research. Quite cool.
Dinner was delicious! I wrote this down right after I got back from dinner (I usually take notes and then elaborate later, but now I don’t remember what it was. Apparently it was good.)
Day 22
Boring day. The days are starting to run together. My alarm was set for 7:00 but then I was like no way jose and rolled over and went back to sleep. I got up about 11:00 and then ate lunch and went to the lab. The day was spent in the lab doing college stuff and other prep work and such for the experiments.
O, then there was a HUGE spider in the bathroom at about 12:00am. That was scary.
Nothing terribly exciting.
No comments:
Post a Comment