Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Fourteen - July 4th 2010

I got up early for the first time in a while and actually ate breakfast. I know, weird! Then it was off to the lab where I stayed until lunch. Then back to the lab for a while. Then at about 3:30 I finished up my work and went out to play Frisbee. Now, for those of you who don’t know, Frisbee and I don’t really get along that well with each other. But I was feeling particularly forgiving and so I gave it another chance to redeem itself. I must say it really stepped up to the challenge and I quite enjoyed myself. It was good to run around and get some exercise. Although I must say that it was ridiculously hot out and the humidity was suffocating. After about an hour I’d had enough and so I went back to the cabin, showered, and then went back to the lab for a little bit.
Dinner was nice. Beans and rice again. Although there was also some chicken to spice things up a little bit. Then it was off to the lab where I stayed until about 11:00 getting brine shrimp in wells and setting up trays.
So funny story that I forgot to post when it happened. I don’t remember now for sure when it was but I believe that it was the first night that I stayed until 2:00am. Anyway, I had just finished chopping up my plants and went out the refrigerator. I keep the leftovers and seal them up in a Ziploc bag which I then put in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. The fridge is outside in a little cage-like structure attached to the side of the building. I really hate going out there at night by myself, because even with a flashlights there are lots of dark corners where frogs can jump out at you when you’re least expecting it. But I braved the darkness and ran out to put the stuff in the fridge. My theory is that the less the amount of time spent outside in the dark the better. So, naturally, I was running. I know this increases my chances of stepping on some creature, but I get out of the dark faster. I run as fast as I can and get back to the door and throw it open. Scratch that. I tried to throw it open. But there was no throwing going on. The door was locked. “Oh no... this is bad… very very bad…” I thought to myself. I was completely stuck. There were no lights outside and I didn’t have my flashlight (the light from the lab illuminates the refrigerator room) and I didn’t have closed-toed shoes and I didn’t know that part of the building very well at all and so I didn’t know the paths and I knew that there was a guard who patrols the place 24/7 but I didn’t know where he was and it was 2 in the morning and I just wanted to get back to the river station and go to bed and I was a little bit frightened. The light from the lab illuminated about a 6 foot radius from the door, and then there was complete darkness. Utter, complete, and pure darkness. The problem with the darkness here is that it’s not just the boogie monsters that are out to get you. There are real, deadly, creatures that can kill you. I’ve been warned only about a bazillion times that I should never ever go anywhere without a flashlight. Ever. So I stood there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do. Well, I could scream for the guard, but I don’t know where he was and I might just end up screaming forever and ever, I could brave the darkness and try to feel my way around the path, or well the truth was I was running out of options. Then I saw a little path that went around the back of the building. It seemed relatively illuminated and I hoped that it would lead me to another door that was unlocked. At least it would lead me to the main entrance to the lab which was better lit. So I took this tiny little path around the building. I just kind of booked it and hoped there were no snakes out to get me. Luckily the door on the other side of the building was unlocked and I was able to get back into the lab, get my stuff and go home. It was quite the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment